Tuesday, December 1, 2009

THEM CROOKED VULTURES


My good friend, the Evil Dr. K from Big D wrote me today to rave about the tracks that have been released from the THEM CROOKED VULTURES. Go to the excellent Led Zeppelin and all things solo that Zeppelin members have done website called Tight but Loose and read the post about the album here http://www.tightbutloose.co.uk/tblweb09/?p=2386.

The above link contains a link to listen to the entire album. It does rocketh out old school. Not surprising since the rhythm section is JPJ and Dave Grohl. It not only conjures memories of Led Zep, but to me of Bad Company and Jane's Addiction, and all sort of other great rocking bands.

The Evil Dr. K, who is not really evil but who is a real doctor, is an old college roomie of Billy Ray. I met the Evil Dr. K in the early 80's, when I was policing and trying to finish college. He's a fellow drummer and we've jammed occasionally but not enough over the years. Here's what he says about THEM CROOKED VULTURES:

http://www.themcrookedvultures.com/us/home"... fills my needs for a hard rock lp with great bass and drums.... so many of the new bands out there just don't develop that rock solid foundation of bass and drums that only comes with years and years of playing.... not the fault of the bands, but the industry that does not make the effort to help bands develop. And the bands have a hard time playing 3 sets a night, 5 days a week, for years. So they fiddle with the sound in the studio. It does not pass the test of us old guys that know what it sounds like."

You don't see a lot of recommendations like that from The Evil Dr. K. It takes a lot to impress him.

It's on my list for Santa. I'm old school, I like the tactile feel of CD's and I like physically owning music. Nothing wrong with itunes but for a keeper like this, I want it in CD form.

One question I have about the name and imagery of TCV regards the dangerous looking birds that have graced TCV's new album cover as well as one of John Paul Jones solo albums, The Thunderthief. What's with the birds, Jonesy?

No comments:

Post a Comment