Sunday, May 16, 2010

CONCRETE BLONDE DEBUT ALBUM


I don't know how I could have neglected featuring this fine album as a album of the week, but it's long been a favorite of mine. I saw the band twice early in their career, before achieving success. One in L.A., and I liked that show so much I saw them at the van tour level stage of their career in Houston at a Rockafeller's gig. The drummer, Harry Rushikoff, was amazing and it was like he had extra muscles and joints in his arms and legs with his timely yet frenetic and high speed playing.
Every tune on the CD, from rockers to ballads, just burn like Fiya. Hot Fiya. The band was Hon-gray and it showed. They reached for it and they grabbed it. That's something few bands can do, and I didn't like this bands subsequent efforts as much as the debut.
But just like first albums by bands like Jane's Addiction, Guns and Roses, Bad Company, Led Zeppelin and the list goes on, every song rocks you and moves you.
It had one "hit", "Still in Hollywood", a song lamenting the life of a working and struggling musician who thought she'd be outta there by now. A bastardized version of that song ends the album, but you'll want to keep this one on your playlist or in your car CD player for more than one listen because every single one of the songs is great. It's that intense and raw and in your face.
And it makes me feel like I'm in my early 20's again. Back when I was in my early 20's and visiting L.A., rest assured a tape of this song often played as I was driving around town at night heading for a club to hear some music.

No comments:

Post a Comment