Thursday, April 7, 2011

GUN QUESTIONS ABOUT SKEET, TRAP AND BLACKPOWDER GUNS

I'm no gun expert, but I have been a gun enthusiast since my single digit years. Since that time, I've read quite a lot about different guns and shooting related sports and participated in many different types of shooting activities. But I've not done much skeet or trap shooting and I've only owned one blackpowder gun, a revolver. I've never owned a skeet or trap gun, and I'm not entirely clear what kinds of guns are suited for these sports.

The reason this is germane is because El Fisho Jr. and I are joining a local shooting club. It's about 20 miles away but has very nice facilities with plenty of different ranges and full access during the daytime. Every weekend, they have a different program for target, skeet, black powder, tactical, practical competitions, various types of western weapon shooting and many different kinds of youth programs.

So I'll be wanting to get at least a blackpowder rifle and some sort of shotgun suitable for skeet shooting, probably a 20 gauge so El Fisho Jr. and I can share it at the start. I know so little about the sport that I'll have to do some googling and reading about the various types of skeet and trap shooting and the guns that are used.

It's not very expensive to join this club, particularly considering what facilities they have. I've talked to several members and they say the place is often uncrowded and that even when it's busy that it's still less crowded than any commercial indoor or outdoor range. Considering the average amount we spend in shooting range fees (not ammo), we'd pay for the year membership and initation fees with what we'd spend in 6 visits to the shooting range.

So I know some of you gun gurus know about a good and reasonably priced blackpowder rifle to take up shooting with, as well as  some information on what kinds of guns are good for skeet shooting. I realize I could and will just google the skeet and blackpowder subject, but I'm interested in the gun gurus and their opinions.

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment