Friday, October 23, 2009

CARTER STEEL GUITARS: A TEXAS COMPANY

I want to start giving some shout outs on this blog to some of the GREAT companies that are located her in Texas. Companies in our state need to be supported by us Texans, or for that matter, for friends anywhere in the world who like Texans and Texas. Buy local, think globally.

I don't play the steel guitar, but I've been in a couple of musical outfits over the years that featured steel guitars, particularly pedal steel guitars. I grew up being "subjected" to classic 1960's and 1970's country and western (Yes, both kinds of music, country AND western) by my Father. Whereas I wanted to listen to rock, soul and pop music while traveling in the car, my Father favored C&W. He once referred to Robert Plant as "That fella sounds like someone is squeezing his testicles with a pair of pliers", which pretty clearly conveyed what he thought about Led Zeppelin.

But soon into my live music playing days, I would often be involved in a band or project that at some point played some classic country song. As I said, on several occasions I did gigs and played in bands that had a steel guitar player. In high school, a talented multi-instrumentalist down the street could not only play (and play well) the pedal steel, the guitar, a Leslie equipped B-3 Hammond organ and Fender Rhodes electric piano, he could totally rock on alto, tenor baritone and soprano saxophone. So I used to hear this well-equipped and super talented friend wail on the steel on occasion.

Carter Steel Guitars is located in Mesquite, Texas. Their founder, Bud Carter, was recently inducted into the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame. You can go to www.steelguitar.com to find out more about this great company. I don't own one of their products, but one day I'd like to get a "Carter Starter", an entry level steel guitar with three pedals and four knee levers. It's not an inexpensive proposition, when you have to also get an appropriate amp to get a decent sound going on and a few other accessories. But maybe one day...

Carter makes some high end steel guitars. Many famous stars play them. I flattered that they make their home in our state, and want to urge readers and musicians to support this Texas owned company if you're considering a pedal steel purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment