Friday, October 30, 2009

ALBUM OF THE WEEK: ERIC CLAPTON UNPLUGGED


I'm sure there are many who disagree, but I just find myself returning to this Clapton album time after time. I recall listening to it alot in the early 90's when it came out. It's not my favorite Clapton album, but it's a special one.
The Layla version is simply timeless to me. It's one of my favorite Clapton songs and it's captured here in a way that really moves me. Raw emotion. Even the audience "whoop" at the beginning of the track has become a part of the listening experience. I wonder who that "whooper" was, exhibiting his happiness with the selection by letting out a good whoop worthy of any Texan.
Don't get me wrong. I'm an electric Clapton fanatic. John Mayall. The Cream. Blind Faith. His work with the Beatles. All of his solo stuff. His playing with Doyle Bramhall II for most of the past decade. Doyle is one of my favorite guitarists and artists, and it's gotta be a dream job being Clapton's second guitarist.
I like to listen to this CD when I'm driving, particularly a trip where it can be enjoyed in it's entirity.

No comments:

Post a Comment