Wednesday, January 13, 2010

AN OPEN LETTER TO HK FIREARMS: BRING BACK THE P7

As I've found out before on this blog, sometimes the people you write about contact you. I've had companies and folks I've written about, or their families or supporters, write either via email or comments and thank me. So I know it's possible that folks, particularly PR or R&D or other corporate types come across things folks like me write on the web.

So here's my opinion, HK: Bring back the P7 series with some new twists.

First, this is a historic firearm, as you well know. Underappreciated? Yes. But like the 1911, it is so important that it needs to be made, even if it is not selling a lot of units. The used prices on the guns are crazy, unless you find a deal on a surplus gun, and the NIB "closet classic" of these guns are going for several thousand on the low end.

Pay back your loyal customers like me. A working joe with a family who likes your products. Cut the price a bit. Sure, make a profit, but give us, the customer, something back in these hard times.

Second, I'd and I don't know if this is possible since the .357 sig round is higher pressure than the .40 caliber, but if possible using the same frame as the .40, could this gun be made in .357 sig?

Third, what about making a "custom shop" production version of this fine gun? By that I mean some subtle changes to the exterior of the gun to make it very carry friendly. Remember the ASP pistol first produced by Paris Theodore and then ASP company and others? One very cool feature of the ASP pistol was a lexan strip on thumb (right handed) side of the grip, which allowed the shooter to see how many rounds remained in the magazine of the ASP.

I'd like to see some kind of very cool hybrid grip for the P7, and for quite a few other pistols actually. The Pachmayr or Hogue or what have you rubber grip, with a laser on the (right) ejector side of the pistol a'la Crimson Trace and on the left side grip a lexan strip which allows the shooter to see how many rounds remain.

It'd be nice to have a P7 "compact or carry" that had rounded and smoothed edges.

I actually prefer the early design which had the butt mounted magazine release, over the traditional left side button operated version. I have owned one of each, and on several occasions had the left side magazine release button version engage accidentally when holstering the weapon, or when using certain holsters.

So bring the P7 back!




No comments:

Post a Comment