Sunday, January 31, 2010

NEED SNUBNOSE BARREL FOR EITHER A K FRAME M67/15 OR A RUGER SECURITY SIX

PICTURE OF OLDER MODEL 15 SMITH AND WESSON WITH 2" BARREL COURTESY OF http://www.danwessonforum.com/images/DW%20Model%2015.jpg
PICTURE OF CURRENT MODEL 67 SMITH AND WESSON PERFORMANCE CENTER PISTOL WITH 3" BARREL COURTESY OF http://www.topglock.com/DisplayPic.aspx?PIC=58641


PICTURE OF RUGER SECURITY SIX WITH 2.75" BARREL COURTESY OF https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiZktA7EjMMKLgCVoGQRs_j_3B7fgMtTcFsdklXpQU-rlNV6jZq7ybZG4ThuJChETL4AB9icQLAoHMZ8Y1vJ3yr-D_ecwPGQ-scVfNPoXREt6vGiGDuzCz48BYg7-qsbYdfdBlDoUVCAn72/s400/security6.jpg
Since I added firearms, particularly handguns (and particularly handguns for law enforcement, self defense and concealed carry by law abiding citizens) to this blog I write, I've picked up many new readers, who occasionally comment and often write emails about the guns I cover.
Yes, I love semi-automatic pistols, but deep in my heart lies an abiding interest and fondness for revolvers. I grew up mostly shooting revolvers, first in .22 caliber, then .38 special and .357 magnum, then many other calibers. When I first began my law enforcement career many years ago in the early 1980's in Houston, Texas, we were required to purchase our own .357 magnum or .38 special revolver in a 4" barrel for duty carry. After two years, we were allowed to carry an autoloader or revolver above a 9mm, conditioned upon qualifiying with it.
For off-duty, we were allowed to carry an autoloader or revolver that was larger than a .380 caliber. Most of us went with snubbies or a PPK/S. As I've written before, about the time I graduated from the academy, I treated myself to a Colt Cobra for off duty carry, and still carry that weapon today nearly 30 years later.
I have and have had numerous revolvers with 4" barrel or longer, but I've got two guns with 4" barrels that I'd like to have customized into snubnose revolvers.
More accurately, I'd love to have 3" barrels for each gun (IN ANY FINISH, I MIGHT ADD). Both pistols that I own are in stainless, so a stainless barrel would be great, although I think that a blued barrel on a stainless pistol would look mighty attractive as well (a'la the two tone Browning Hi-Power Practical model of the 1990's).
SO IF YOU KNOW A PLACE WHERE I CAN FIND A SHORTER BARREL FOR EITHER OF THESE PISTOLS, PLEASE DROP ME AN EMAIL TO elfishingmusician AT yahoo DOT com OR POST A COMMENT BELOW. I'D BE VERY GRATEFUL!
I've written Smith and Wesson and Ruger, and they've replied and there are no barrels that are available to fit these pistols.
For the Smith and Wesson Model 67 (and it's blued twin the Model 15), I know they were once made in great quantities in 2" barrels, and I believe that some were made perhaps with 2.5" barrels. Currently, the Smith and Wesson Performance Center is making the gun shown above with the nifty 3" barrel. S&W says the 3" barrel is "not currently available" for parts sale but may be made in the future.
Likewise, a large number of Security Six revolvers were made with a 2.75" barrel in both blue and stainless. Mine has a 4" barrel, and I'd love to find a shorter barrel.
I also plan to add some sort of rear sight that is more conducive to concealed carry to whichever pistol I ultimately find a shorter barrel for. I have not spent much time looking for what I would describe as a "gutter snipe" rear sight, something like the many sights I used to see in combat pistol shooting by those folks who shot revolvers. I have a feeling that the rear sight choice won't be as difficult to find or make than finding a shorter barrel.
But I'd love any suggestions as to a great snag-free rear sight for any of these pistols.
Thanks in advance for your help and any suggestions you might have for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment