Tuesday, January 12, 2010

CHIC GAYLORD: PART TWO

THIS IS A POCKET HOLSTER MADE BY BELL CHARTER OAK. CHIC WAS FAMOUS FOR HIS POCKET HOLSTERS.
DUBBED THE "NEW YORK RELOAD", THIS HOLSTER WAS POPULAR, SO THE LORE SAYS, WITH COPS IN HIGH CRIME NEIGHBORHOODS OR NARCO SQUAD JOBS AND WITH SPYS. ORIGINALLY DESIGNED TO CARRY TWO SNUBBIES, IT WAS ADAPTED TO FIT THE 1911 AND THE HI POWER. THIS HOLSTER IS ALSO BY BELL CHARTER OAK.

ANOTHER BELL CHARTER OAK HOLSTER BASED ON A CHIC GAYLORD HOLSTER.



COLT DETECTIVE SPECIAL IN A BELL CHARTER OAK HOLSTER, ONCE AGAIN, ONE MADE BY BELL CHARTER OAK.



THIS HOLSTER IS ACTUALLY BY THE LATE LOU ALESSI, BUT IT IS VERY CLOSE TO A GAYLORD DESIGN. NOTICE THE OFFSET BELT CLIP, POSITIONED BEHIND THE CYLINDER SO AS TO FACILITATE AND NOT COMPLICATE CONCEALABILITY.


One very interesting forum thread I came across in my goggling about Chic was this one here
http://www.pistolsmith.com/viewtopic.php?t=20539

There's a lot of information in this post by some old timers (I'm officially old too, according to my wife and one of the kids, no insult intended) who knew Chic. It's six years old, and contains contributions from the legendary late holster artist Lou Alessi talking about Chic. Certainly worth a read if you're interested in Chic.

The thread starter, a Austin Behlert said:

"There was a real famous guy in the sixties named Chic Gaylord. As some of his customers say, he had the hands of a craftsman, the eye of an aartist and the mind of a scientist. He majored in art in college and after graduation worked as a cartoonist for the famous Peter Arne, dean of American cartoonists. He finally went on his own and in his shop on West 47nth St NYC he began to develope the finest holsters for law enforcement people. He never advertised as his fame came from word of mouth. He also became known in those days to be the top man in combat shootng. He made holsters for every type situation and all type pistols. He once put on a demo with 17 weapons concealed on his body. I had the pleasure of meeting him a number of times when a friend in law enforcement asked me to go."

Another poster, a Gordon Hulme responded:

"Never thought I'd look like Chic , but now I do. I have two of his holsters still, an ankle one for a J frame snub, which is a good , but not the best of it's kind I've seen. His plain Speed Scabbard I have for a 2.5" Model 19 is my prized holster for this concealment gun. I bought it in 1966 when I was assigned to Military Intelligence. Although I had to carry a 2" Model 10 in it on duty assignments I kept it to this day in fine shape.The stitching is still tight! What Austin politely has not shared, is that Chic was quite the "piece of work" in his demeanor. Just imagine a 'high speed low drag' wise guy in NYC who all the "princes of the city" (and every wet work spook in free world) cow- towed to!!!! Not only to get the leather of their dreams , but to learn his "speed shooting" secrets. I even got him to show me with his beloved High Standard Sentinel snub .22!!!!! Remember how he liked those Austin?"


I can certainly identify with looking more like Chic as I age.

The late Louis F. "Lou" Alessi said:

"Gaylod was quite a guy. I remember talking to him a few times on the phone when I was playing around making holsters for myself, and a few cop friends. He spent a lot of time talking about design, the benefits of heavy thread for stitching, and properly molding a gun to a holster. In those days, he used real guns to mold the holsters. Today, it's just not possible with all the different manufacturers, models, and variations of the same model available. Not many people realize it, but Chic passed away about 10 years ago. He was in a nursing home until his death. One of his good friends, Lefty Lewis, a retired NYPD Detective, and holster maker, used to visit him regularly. Chic certainly was the father of the concealment holster as we know it today. Lou".

AND

"Chic Gaylord's logo was a lightning bolt logo that incorporated his name into the logo. Lou"

You don't get much more knowledgeable or to be more of a great holster artist than Lou Alessi was, I'll tell you. I have one of his holsters for one of my handguns, and let me tell you, it is a work of art. Rest in Peace Lou, and I'm glad your family is carrying on the business and I'm sure the quality will live on in the business.

This fellow, Rob Garrett, is probably the one who wrote the multi part article I recall reading years ago, perhaps in the early to mid 90's, that I previously wrote was a two part article. I'm pretty sure I have those articles filed away in a "things to think about writing a book about one day" file, but I have accumulated an awful large number of files which are in cabinets and rubbermaid storage bins in the attic.

I recall these articles and the great pictures which went along with them.

If Rob Garrett ever reads this, I'd love to have a copy or a scan of those articles if you have them handy. The email is in the profile. I'll be happy to pay for reproduction or mailing costs if not digitally stored.

"I had the pleasure of meeting Chic in June of 1991. He was residing in a care home on Long Island. I spent about three hours interviewing and visiting with him. This research became the basis for a three part article i did not Combat Handguns. Chic lived hard and in many ways, life was not good to him. However, he left a lasting mark having been the father of modern concealment leather. Heres to you Chic!

Rob
"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" George Orwell"



No comments:

Post a Comment