Monday, May 30, 2011

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LEON HALE

Longtime Houston Newspaper Scribe Leon Hale is cerlebrating his 90th birthday. Happy Birthday, Leon. Leon is a gifted and talented writer, to be sure. The Houston Chronicle, his longtime last newspaper job, is running a series of his articles that are good ones. The one about WWII was well written, hilarious and hopelessly heartbreaking, all at the same time, and all with very few well chosen sentences. I should be so lucky, being as wordy as I am. Can't blame it on law school, as I was wordy way before then.

Back when people, people like me for instance, used to begin the day and particularly Sundays with the newspaper and coffee, Leon was one of the first things I'd read. No matter where I was,  the Sunday paper was a ritual, and I kept it up for many years until a few years ago when online news became snappier and available for free on the internet.

But I digress. Here's a link to some classic Leon Hale musings and writings and they go on and on for your enjoyment.

And for you fishermen and fisherwomen and those Texans who enjoy Hill Country River Fishing Camp stories, here's a few links to get you started on Leon's fishing trips here and here and  here to the James and/or Llano Rivers with his buddies. I guess his last trip over there was in 2008 as that's the last post written on the James River by Leon that I could find.

So Happy Birthday, Leon Hale!

No comments:

Post a Comment