Friday, August 6, 2010

COOL BLOG ABOUT KNIVES, SELF DEFENSE, GUNS AND MORE!

I found a great blog about knives and self defense and guns written by a trio of seemingly nice and knowledgeable european young people. Like me, Stefi has a law degree, although she is not a practicing lawyer. Stefi and her brother Rob and his wife Amica have a varied profile of experience between them in martial arts, shooting, knife fighting, wrestling and fencing.

Stefi's blog

They are an interesting bunch and I have particularly enjoyed their recent writings about Italian Switchblade Stilettos as I've learned a few things I didn't know before. All three alternate writing about a variety of these subjects. Like me, they don't blog about their work but about their other passions.

Since switchblades and automatic knives are illegal in Texas except under the most stringent circumstances, I just orded a non-automatic (and thus, legal) stiletto that is a (legal) assisted opening knife. It's a cheapy though, but it's the only one I could find, but I'm hoping that one of the three bloggers introduced to you above might know of some euro knife maker that makes a non-automatic spring assisted stiletto that is quality made for a quality price.

So check out their blog. It's in my blog roll, so roll on over there sometime.


What's your opinion about automatic/switchblade knives being illegal? Especially now since most assisted opening knives are just milliseconds slower than a switchblade?

I've seen a few assisted openers (and even non assisted openers) that can be opened seemingly as fast as a switchblade, like my friend and long time bassist collaborator Woody Oakes can do. His Applegate-Fairbairn folder can be opened by him as fast as any switchblade, but I can't do it near as fast as him with that same knife.

I remember back when I was in high school and my early 20's. Everyone carried a knife, usually a Buck Hunter. Many carried them on their belts. I preferred strong side back pocket carry, opposite my wallet. Both good guys and bad guys carried the Buck Hunter back then in Houston. Cowboys, mechanics and other tradesmen, cops, farmers and lots of just normal law abiding folks carried Buck Hunters.

Bad guys carried them too. You'd never see an outlaw biker without his, in a belt pouch. In their defense somewhat, bikers often had legit uses for their knives in repairing their scooters when they were "on a run" or on the road, and many of the fellows I knew back then who were bikers often worked as mechanics anyways, and they always need a good knife for a variety of mechanical reasons.

So there is some very cool knife talk going on right now over at this cool blog. Check it out.

7 comments:

  1. The Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn folder comes as a spring assist, which I'm not keen on. Spring assists seem to me to be weak, whereas a decent switch can be as strong as any other folder. Falcon make some good manual traditional stilettos. The law was reactionary, but the problem is that overturning a law like that is harder than getting it passed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Rob! I'll check out Falcon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting Stefi's blog. I'm looking for blogs like this because I'm doing a research about women protection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to be of service, WP. The pleasure is all mine. I'm enjoying their blog immensely. Great stuff about knives and all kinds of defense alternatives. I agree with what seems to be their unwritten philosophy, being that the more you know about different kinds and forms of self defense, the better you will be able to defend yourself.

    Start with a good martial arts class to get some basic skills and ideas how to defend yourself and how to fight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice blog about guns and knives! I'm a big fan of outdoor activities and getting the right equipment so this is really cool to check out. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And thank you for stopping by here, Bill.

    The crew at Stefi's is very funny as well as being knowledgeable. As I said, I have learned some things about knives I didn't know before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are good collections of martial arts blogs which can be use by people who are in search for free trainings and free information about martial arts and its tactics. I am really glad that I have found this site because I think I can do the training alone if I have the proper material to use at home...Thanks for posting :)

    ReplyDelete