Tuesday, October 12, 2010

OPEN LETTER TO SMITH AND WESSON: A COMBAT MODEL 22 OF 1917
















Just like you S&W, I'm lucky to be a working man in the U.S. of A.

Smith and Wesson. I've been buying your products for over thirty years now, and I feel qualified to ask you to give something back to the guys like me who are still buying and actively promoting your products, particularly revolvers.

Guys like me. Got to be millions of us. Of that masse, some number in at least the thousands would buy this gun:

A Model 22 of 1917 as recently reintroducted by your company, but with a 3" combat/carry sized barrel. That's it. Shorten the barrel. Move the front sight.

Sell me the gun at a decent price where you are still making a profit but you are giving back to me and thousands like me for being loyal American customers over the decades, who will continue to buy your products.

I'll put a set of Pachmayrs on it with some nice medallions and it'll be a great gun for self defense. There are those of us, Smith and Wesson, who do still practice the carry of revolvers for self defense and we have become smaller in number as the years go buy. Automatics are so fashionable right now, and with good reasons, but there is a place for the law abiding American to have a nice .45 ACP "combat" revolver to protect their castle.

Call your marketing program Arm America. Did you read on CNN today about these so-called "Americans" who are advocating jihad on America from foreign locales in online magazines? Certainly, you know about the recruitment of so-called American muslims to kill other Americans via mass murder like Fort Hood?

Arm America. The perfect gun. Sell it with rubber stocks, like the concealable Pachmayrs or Hogues. You have to work harder to conceal those grips, but in a gunfight, you'll be glad you don't have some pretty ivory or stag grips on that gun, but something substantial that absorbs the hell outta that recoil. I mean, I just love shooting the Model 22 of 1917 with the proper grips.

It's a historic gun for your company. I have one, an original, which I do shoot, but which no gunsmith I speak to will alter because of it's coolness. I admit to trepedation at even thinking of doing so, so instead comes the idea of buying one of your fine reissues of this gun, preferably in nickle.

Three inch barrel. That's all it takes, Smith and Wesson.

It's a half a pound lighter than the Model 29, and although much heavier than it's scadnium/aluminum/titanium/etc framed big bore brethern like the lightweght big bore Smith Mountain Guns and the airweight big bore snubbies shooting .45 ACP, it's just a much more pleasant and to me, accurate shooting firearm than any of your other fine revolvers in this caliber.

Here's some websites with some nice reviews of the gun, much better said than I. I've seen people on forums claim to be getting them new for like $800, so the possibility exists of getting a used but recent reissue for something well under that. I have not seen any around new or used, myself.















The closest thing available from Smith and Wesson in this regard has been the excellent Thunder Ranch Model 22, which is a different beast altogether than the 1917.






It could not cost that much to program some CNC machines to cut that barrel, crown it, and pin that front sight on that bad boy.

If you need to cut costs to get the price down to a REAL reasonable amount, consider the following:

A parkerized finish, with rubber grips, again with the all important 3" barrel.


No comments:

Post a Comment