Sunday, October 24, 2010

NEW BLOG: TEXAS WHEELGUNS

I started kind of a new sub-blog about Wheelguns. Revolvers. I called it Texas Wheelguns because Wheelguns was taken and that was what I thought of at the time.

Here's the site and it's of course linked on my regular blogs to the side. It'll be a diversion from some of the somewhat obsessive-compulsive wheelgun talk that's been going on here. I'll still talk about guns and revolvers and shooting here, but I want to get some more music and lots more fishing talk going here again. Besides, I'm kinda becoming a student of double action revolvers made from the early 1900's through the 1960's, as I'm fairly familiar with what came during and after the 1960's revolver wise.

So I'll be doing a bit of original historical roundup and a lot of linking to some great pages where much information abounds about older revolvers.

TEXAS WHEELGUNS

THE RANGE REVOLVER EXPERIENCE

In the above post, I talk about the great revolver day I had yesterday at the range, when an unexpected windfall deal of .38 Special range ammo fell into our laps just before the range trip with a trip to our local gunshop, where we trade and do a lot of our business. Yesterday, friend Billy Ray wanted to get his grandpa's 1905 Colt .32 pocket auto gone over and refurbished with some new springs and we dropped that off for the work and then got a trade on some older ammo our gunsmith got at a gun show.

I live in Texas. My family lived in Texas long before Sam Colt and Col. Walker devised the ingenious weapon known as the Walker Colt, and before men in Texas started using them and Lord knows first te percussion revolver and then the cartridge firearm settled this once wild frontier. I learned to shoot a revolver first, and I learned to shoot a revolver well long before I was allowed to do any regular shooting with an autoloader.

When we were taught to bird and deer and rabbit hunt in our elementary school days, .410 shotguns and deer rifles for the kids were single shot. Every shot had to count. No, we were not poor by my father, like Billy Ray's father, had been raised during the depression and they hunted for fresh food. Like my father, Billy Ray's dad would be given one shell, MAYBE two, and admonished to try to bring not only food back but the extra unfired cartridge when they returned from hunting.

We had to earn our way to carry a pump/auto/double barrel shotgun or a lever action deer rifle like dad.

So maybe that's why revolvers, in this day and age of concealed carry pistols that often carry 10 or more rounds, with most holding more than that, are still a valid idea for self defense. Make every shot count.

In any event, I have a few friends that are revolver devotees, like me. Max, a good friend, is a diehard revolver fan, but like me owns numerous autoloaders and enjoys shooting them. But when it comes down to needing a gun for defensive purposes, like me Max is likely to grab his Model 66 snubbie or another wheelgun. The only difference in Max and I is his love for the .357 Magnum cartridge.

My first follower, Pietro from way across the Atlantic, is a fellow revolver fan, even though most of his relatives that blog with him are not so much into revolvers except as a historical concept. He'll be blogging over at Stefi's Place, also in my blog roll, so look for some interesting stories from him soon. Like his kinfolk at that blog, he's got an interesting resume, so look for some cool writing and welcome to this world of revolvers, Pietro.

I've been longing in the worst way for a nice large combat revolver based on the 1917. It could be a Smith or a Colt New Service. I keep running into guns customized back in the 40's and 50's but they are all .38 Specials or .38 Smith and Wesson.

What the El Fisho wants is some old working man's gun in .45 ACP. Not fancy collector's piece. Something in decent physical shape but dang good mechanicals. Chopped down, but I'd like a triggerguard intact (no Fitz Special cutaway triggerguard for me, thanks). Bobbed but still useble and cockable SA hammer. Some nice stag grips and a couple of good holsters.

So if you see some kind of cool .45 ACP wheelgun that's been chopped up decently into a snubnose conversion or a customized combat revolver from days gone by at your gunsmith and it's a decent deal, let me know as quick as you can. Also, realizing that my search for an already altered gun has not been so successful, I'm looking for fodder for a cut-down 1917 or New Service that I can find a smith to work on for me.
SO keeps your eyes open for me in those used gun shops and pawn shops.

No comments:

Post a Comment