Monday, June 8, 2009

Growing Older but not up


Once upon a time, I spend a great deal of time at the Houston Yacht Club, located on East Galveston Bay in the community of Shore Acres and near the towns of La Porte, Kemah, Seabrook and Clear Lake City.
Way back in my junior high years, I began going there on weekends with a good friend and his family who had a boat there and were members. The view above, from the HYC website, reminds me exactly of the view from the back of my friend's boat, a Catalina 27 sailboat, looking up at the club. Kids like us, when we were not being used as crewmembers on the old folks' racing sailboats, would bust out the sunfish and Laser sailboats and the lawn of the club would look just like that above.
I guess that was where I first decided that Jimmy Buffett had a lot of lifes issues already figured out. I'm not so sure anymore about how much about real life Jimmy did have figured out back then, but I know he hit the nail on the head with this one, a song from his 1981 album The Coconut Telegraph:
I'm growing older but not up
My metabolic rate is pleasantly stuck
So let the winds of change blow over my head
I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead

No comments:

Post a Comment