Saturday, November 17, 2018

THE RETURN OF THE ROBAR GLOCK 19 PROJECT

I'll just briefly post here, but after having it back for about a month now, I am VERY IMPRESSED with the grip work done by Robar.

The grip is now unlike any other polymer framed gun I've ever held. 

I've got medium sized hands, but I always felt I was holding a rounded off 2x4 with my first Glock, a Gen2 M21. 

Until I started shooting. And then grip feel became irrelevant. 

The Models 19/23 are not as boxy feeling, although the 4th and 5th Gen interchangeable grip options are irrelevant to me, as I choose the smallest size anyway. 

So with the Robar, the grip of a Glock feels like it should from the factory, at least as an option. A reduced grip Glock. 

My Robar M19 has a great feel to it. It's substantially smaller all the way around, and is really lots more comfortable to shoot than any other M19 I've ever shot. 

To review, I had the following grip work done on a NIB 5 year old Glock Gen3 M19:

1. Total frame reduction;
2. Removal of finger grooves;
3. Double trigger guard undercut;
4. 360 degree stippling except thumb area;
5. Frame flats stippled.

They do fantastic work. They mention on their site that the reduction is even more dramatic and apparent on the large frame Glock pistols, such as .45 ACP and 10mm.

Which, of course, pics my curiousity...

I also had an Apex trigger installed, and some Glock night sights.
Since the time I sent the Robar Glock off for the work, I bought and learned to use (successful the first time), with the $40 cheap blue universal sight tool I bought, and have learned how to replace Glock triggers myself.

The gun feels great in my hand. Even LEO friends who favor S&W M&P or Sigs because of their grip or action agreed it was the best feeling Glock they'd felt.

I've put about 200 rounds through it, and although I discussed adding a bunch of internal Zev Technologies parts to the frame and slide, I think I like it the way it is.

I will, however, be adding the Tango Down Larry Vickers extended slide release and magazine release, as I've already done to every Glock I own, except for the Zev Spartan, which has it's own extended mag and slide release. Which are excellent also.

I already use the excellent Tango Down Larry Vickers magazine base plates that feature staggered and flared sides for easy mag extraction. The only Glock 19 they don't work with is the Zev Spartan, as it has an attached flared magazine well that doesn't accommodate the flared Vickers mag base plates.

I very much like the Apex trigger replacement kit I bought with the aluminum trigger and safety. Much smoother than the stock trigger and a major improvement. I won't say it's better than the Zev Technologies trigger on my Zev Gen4 M19 Spartan, but I like it just as much.

Overall Rating of Robar: Five Stars. Grade A work. Great feel. Fits my hand perfectly, and is truly the perfection Glock advertises, but Robar delivers. Great customer service. Great communication as to receipt and completion of the work. Great telephone and email communication when placing the order.

I'll have to delay my Robar Browning Hi-Power projct until later next year, but it's a mandatory to-do for me. In fact, the delay is that based on the quality of their Glock work, I think I'll have them do finish work and internal coatings, and perhaps even splurge for some backstrap checkering.

But first, a great candidate for another, much cheaper project came along, and thus my next project is underway. Read about it in my next post.



No comments:

Post a Comment