Saturday, December 15, 2012

THE NEMESIS VANQUISH RIFLE

If you've seen the Bourne Legacy, and it's recently been released via pay per view and dvd, the first 25 minutes or so feature numerous appearances of this rifle, the The Nemasis Vanquish rifle.  

It's a cool design, and whilst I'm not likely to pay or be able to pay what they want for it without some significant hurting on my part, there are some design aspects to the gun I'd like to emulate in some of my guns, and in possibly one day soon building my own rifle that is kinda sorta like this rifle.

It's interesting to note that in the movie the Vanquish is portrayed to be a semi-auto gun, when in fact the real Vanquish is a bolt action magazine fed gun.

So even though it is "el expense", as my friend Robert used to say about high end items, there are lots of cool accessories and ideas that would be cool to have in a gun that you could build or have built relatively cheaply. You might not have the interchangeable calibers of the Vanquish, or even the takedown feature, but there's a lot of good to be said for an ultra accurate rifle that doesn't weigh a whole lot.
 
I like the model of the gun that has the bipod with a multi sided rail protruding horizontally from the top part of the bipod mount.

I'm a big believer in the .308 caliber being the best all around caliber for where I live and where I'm likely to vacation where I might want to have a rifle with me. It's the right size for anything from large deer to hogs to a bobcat to a mountain lion (still very rare in my part of Texas yet appearing more and more in Texas and somewhat commonly seen in West Texas). It might be a big overkill for smaller predators like coyote and the like, but it will also work well on wolves.

Right now, I'd like to figure out how to construct a bipod with a 3 or 4 sided rail protruding from it for lasers and flashlights and use it on some of the guns I already have. I don't know enough about bipod mounts but I know some attach to sling swivel mounts and if so, if that would be stable enough to support a laser and light in terms of repeat accuracy with them.

It makes sense for a Texas woods gun to have a scope or red dot and/or small scope for the red dot, as well as a laser and working flashlight.

You might not PLAN to be out at night on your fishing or hunting trip and need or want a flashlight or a laser on what is more or less a long range hunting rifle, but it could come in handy in lost or late after dark circumstances.

The ability to instantly attach or remove a bipod with rail mount containing a flashlight and laser from a sling swivel mount and put the bipod/flashlight/laser setup in your kit bag would be nice, if the laser would hold zero with such a mount.

Probably a better option would be having some sort of rail mount bipod attached to a foreend with a rail on the handguard bottom and then having the horizontal rail attachment I've mentioned attached to the rail rather than the bipod, but dropped down a few inches from the forearm of the gun.

If I built my own gun like the Vanquish, I'd be in it to construct a lightweight, takedown Texas woods gun. I'd probably go with an AR-15 type receiver chambered in .308. There are many companies making these. I might even want to consider a piston model.

You might have to fabricate some kind of takedown barrel mount, but I suspect these might be available as parts from custom shops somewhere.

I'd want to have a forearm on the gun and there are hundreds of choices in that department. Likewise, a nice stock on a side folding mount would make this gun very portable in addition to being take down, and depending on the budget and feasibility, a side folding stock would aid in being a take down rifle.

I wish I were a competent gunsmith and had a small machine shop in my workshop. It's something I'm thinking about. Even though I  have a law degree, my parents both thought it a good idea to know as many trades as possible and I've always been in agreement with that.

I've been a jack of all trades handyman around the home and my folk's home and such all my life. I took wood shop in school, and would have taken metal shop had they offered it. I can do basic carpentry, plumbing and electrical repairs and construction, but have always wanted more knowledge in working with metals.

Truth be known, for this project, if it occurs, it'd be much cheaper for me to hire out the work to a quality experienced smith for things like attaching a takedown barrel rig to the receiver and barrel and even for things as simple as fabricating (if not available commercially) a side folding attachment for a full stock of some sort.

Moreover, I wish I had the metal working knowledge and the mechanical knowledge to pull off projects like the guys over at THE PHARMORY  in my blog roll do. This link is from a couple of years ago to a conversion project turning a Mosin Nagant into a .45-70. Very cool. They do some cool things with guns and seem to know what they are talking about. I'm so far below folks like that in my knowledge and understanding that I can only catch about half of the technical stuff they talk about.

No comments:

Post a Comment