Thursday, August 30, 2018

THE GLOCK 19 GEN 3 ROBAR PROJECT PART 2

As I discuss below, after the Robar Model 19 gets back from Robar, it's next stop after a little shooting with the trigger being installed will be Zev Technologies. 

As I discuss below, I daily carry a Zev Spartan Model 19 and it is one of the finest firearms and shooting irons I've carried for self defense over the past 30+ years in law enforcement. It takes the Glock to a new level. 

So since Zev will install all their parts that you buy, my reduced grip Glock will go to Zev, perhaps where I can get it back as a Christmas present.

At Zev, I plan to have all Zev internal parts installed, along with their dimpled match barrel. I'll keep my stock Glock slide on the gun, since I don't plan on running an RMR on this gun. I love the Zev slides, but that's a big expense and will keep the Zev part of the project far cheaper. 

After I recover financially from all the Zev work discussed above on the Model 19 Robar project, the second Robar project I want to do will be a bit more expensive, but still reasonable, but is also something I've wanted to do for quite a while.

I've got a nice 1989 Browning Hi Power that I'd like to do a few mods on. I don't have several thousand bucks to get full stippling of the fore and back grip and a light jewelers stipple on the top of the gun. Or a carry job removing all the sharp edges.

I plan just to get some trigger work and hammer replacement done. Perhaps a coating on the internals of one of Robar's durable finishes, as thats a service they offer, and of course replacement of other internal parts like springs, firing pin, etc with some high end products.

The IWB holsters I use are leather and do a great job of preventing contact of the gun with my torso/belt line. So I'm not concerned about a carry job or any of the plethora of other fine features this gun has that don't directly concern the trigger mechanism.

My gun that I'm sending in runs a set of Pachmayer grips that feature both a rubber front grip strap and a rear grip strap rubber covering as well. It's a nice feeling grip. I'm a big Pachmayer fan and have been for 37 years now, so it's no surprise I favor these grips on the Hi Power.

What I do want Robar is:

1. A magazine safety disconnect job;
2. Install/tune the  Cylinder and Slide trigger assembly/job;
3. Have the Cylinder and Slide round hammer installed;
4. Install night sights (I'm not sure of what kind yet but I'll have them install some modern night sights);
5. Install a left side only safety;
6. Replace all internals springs, guide rod, firing pin, etc parts
and have them coated in one of Robar's durable finishes.

Then I'd like all the external pieces gold plated by Robar, i.e. :
-Trigger
-Hammer
-Slide Release
-Safety
-Mag release button.

Just 'cause. I'd like to end up with the "non-external work" version of the Hi Power featured in this article

I don't see on the Robar website that they doing blueing, and particularly the type of DEEP rich blueing for which some BHP's are famous for, and although my gun features sort of a flat gray finish of some unknown type, I want it deep blued after the trigger work.

So I need to find a place to send it to for a deluxe blue job. Then that would be that.

The third project I'm contemplating with Robar is a similar grip reduction job like the one being done now but with a Gen 3 Model 21 SF. I don't know if the SF would make for a smaller grip than the regular 21 via the Robar reduction process and finger groove removal, but I've got one so that's whats going to go. Again, I'll go with light texturing, or may ask them to leave it reduced but untextured for the next step in the process.

The 21 will leave Robar and then go to Zev Technologies.

My carry gun for the last year has been the Zev Tech Spartan model Model 19. About the only thing left Glock about it is the frame. The Zev trigger is fabulous, and really just a perfect trigger for a striker fired gun. The only thing my Zev Spartan lacks is the reduced grip, as Zev does remove finger grooves.

I particularly like Zev's grip stippling, so I'd like to have this Model 21 Robar project stippled at Zev after reduction at Robar. Zev will install FOR FREE all parts you buy, and in the future Model 21 Robar project, as well as my current Model 19 Robar project, I'll be using the stock Glock slide.

I don't plan on putting RMRs on these guns, as they will be purely carry and are being downsized to accentuate their concealment quotient as well as be more comfortable in the hand. Thus, I'll use a stock Glock slide.

I DO like the Zev barrels, and I plan to ultimately get both the Model 19 and the Model 21 to Zev for a barrel, internal parts and their trigger. Springs, stainless steel guide rod and all those other parts that Zev makes.

No comments:

Post a Comment